Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm Sure It Won't Be the Only Time

Towards the end of our summer school program, my mom brought Owen out so he could see all of the buses lined up to take the kids home.  (he loves buses, so I thought he would enjoy this)  While we were outside looking at all of the buses and getting kids loaded, one of the assistants (who knows me, but doesn't really KNOW me) asked when Owen would be getting a little brother or sister.  I quickly responded "He's not!" and then turned to say something to him.  My mom, who was standing there with us, was a little shocked by my abrupt answer and starting talking a little more to the person trying to fill the awkwardness.   It felt a little liberating to say it out loud....and didn't bother me like I thought it would....and I'm sure it won't be the only time I'm asked that question in the future......

2 comments:

  1. You could soften it a little and say something like "God only knows!" It tells them absolutely nothing about your personal life and stops the conversation on a little more positive note. I know it really doesn't matter what other people think, but if you just say "he's not" it might get interpreted like the journey is hard just with Owen and you don't care to have any more than him.

    It's amazing to me what people will ask. I remember the Mother's Day that someone at church said "So when are you going to be a mother?" and sent me into tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do what Jessica Wolfe does: say, "We're in the one and done club!" It's cute and answers the question without sharing any personal reasons or history.

    ReplyDelete