Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Introducing.....

Owen Anthony! Born December 5, 2009 at 5:19PM. He weighed in at 8 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 inches long. We finally got to come home yesterday, so I've finally had a few minutes to get on and post some pictures for everyone to see:








We think he is perfect.....everything that we ever hoped, wished and dreamed for! Delivery on the other hand was not so perfect. It took over 35 hours for him to be born. We started the day on Friday with Pitocin but it wasn't doing the trick. We then moved on to stronger drugs--got 3 different doses of it--finally things were moving, although still slowly. My water did break on its own and then I did go for the epidural--after more than 24 hours of contractions I wasn't sure how much longer I could go on. Finally around 3:15 I began pushing--pushed for over 2 hours but he wasn't budging past a certain point. The doctor decided that a forceps delivery would be my only option before a C-section, so we proceeded forward. When Owen finally made his entrance into the world, the doctor declared him a football player-large and mommy a petite, so we weren't matching well in that department. He was born perfect with no other issues during the process-unfortunately for me, a forceps delivery was not pleasant and then my placenta then decided that it was not going come out. To leave all the gory details out, the doctor worked on me for over an hour after he was born. When it was all said and done I had lost a significant amount of blood and was not doing the greatest. I was/am also extremely bloated due to all of the fluids that they pumped me full of during the induction--I still don't think that I look like myself! We had several people waiting to meet him, but because of my complications we had to turn them all away and they had to come back on Sunday. It took me a long time to recover and I actually ended up needing a blood transfusion to help push me back up in order to be discharged--which was finally yesterday. So we are now home and trying to find our way around!--what a job that has been. Breastfeeding will probably be the topic of my next entry!

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Owen!!!! So glad he's just perfect, but so sorry the delivery was anything but. Good thing Owen has such a strong mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! We've been waiting to hear :-) I love the name and he is such a cutie. Sometimes they just want to make it hard on us to make us appreciate them more, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww! He is adorable! Congrats you guys! Well worth all you've been through to get this little guy, huh? Take care of yourself Jen and hope you heal fast. This is for sure a very Merry Christmas!! Welcome to the world baby Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you and Tony! He is a cutie!! I have been waiting to hear the news!! :) I LOVE the name! Owen was on our short list too! :) I love the big babies though....they don't feel like you could break them at any moment!! :) Congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete