Thursday, July 2, 2009

How Do You Feel?

So if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me this question, this baby would probably have a huge college fund started! Don't get me wrong, it is nice that everyone is so interested in what is going on, but I guess I never realized how often I would get asked. I'm sure that I have asked this question to all the pregnant people I have known as well--I mean what else are you supposed to ask about:) I've noticed lately that I have been having a hard time answering the question. Tony told me the other day that I am a walking contradiction--I wanted to be pregnant for so long and now it seems like I don't want anyone to know--when he first said that-I kinda got mad, but in a way I guess he might have been right. So I have been mulling it over for a few days trying to decide why I am having such a hard time with it......

I finally had a little bit of a breakthrough at work last week. We had a training about behavior and reinforcement after school one day and as a part of the training they had us fill out a "reinforcement forced choice menu." Basically the point was that as teachers we think that we automatically know what our students would want to work for as reinforcement, so this little tool paired two items together (you have to choose one or the other-there were like 30 pairs). The things on the "menu" were from a few different categories--adult attention, peer attention, independent rewards, consumable items, etc. After I filled out my "menu" I totaled up my answers and most of what I saw as rewarding were independent rewards and consumable items. Now those of you that know me well wouldn't probably see this as a surprise, but I guess that I had never thought about it. I am a very independent person (and I like to eat candy!!) so getting attention from a lot of different people is something that I guess I may not like as much as others, in fact it is a little difficult for me to deal with-especially with people that I am not very close with. So this is probably why I have a hard time answering the "how do you feel" question. Since I have had my "breakthrough" I have been trying to be a little better when people ask me, but some days I am better at it than others. (those of you that know me should also not see this as a surprise!! I don't "fake it" well!!)

So to anyone that I may have come off short to when they asked - I sincerely apologize. I am trying to be better with this situation, so please do not feel bad or think that you can't ask! I promise that I will do better:)

1 comment:

  1. Jen-I saw your blog reference on your last SIRM post. I'm finally caught up on learning more about your journey. Brought back a lot of memories from when we were cycle buddies and some of the things we have in common...HSG, IUIs, 5 years of trying, nothing really wrong, indepedent spirit, etc. You can't believe how excited I am that you will be experiencing half of what I have. Get it...half?! Tell Tony we said hi and he's going to be an awesome dad!

    ReplyDelete