Saturday, February 7, 2009

My first procedure.....who knew there would be so many?

Well, first on the list was telling Aunt Jill. There really is no good time to tell someone that you are getting ready for a procedure that may tell you if you are possibly headed towards infertility, so I decided to do it at a local baseball game.....on the way to the concession stands. Of course she was very supportive and it was nice to have someone to talk to about it, but we just weren't ready to fill everyone in. She of course can't tell anyone because of the whole confidentiality thing, but I knew she wouldn't just because we had asked.

My first procedure was a hysterosalpingogram--yep that is what it is called. Nice name, huh? I always use the acronym. I cut and pasted the next section from the web--a lot easier than trying to explain it myself:)

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-Ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. During a hysterosalpingogram, a dye is put through a thin tube that is put through the vagina and into the uterus. Because the uterus and the fallopian tubes are hooked together, the dye will flow into the fallopian tubes. Pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes. The pictures can show problems such as an injury or abnormal structure of the uterus or fallopian tubes, or a blockage that would prevent an egg moving through a fallopian tube to the uterus. A blockage also could prevent sperm from moving into a fallopian tube and joining (fertilizing) an egg. A hysterosalpingogram also may find problems on the inside of the uterus that prevent a fertilized egg from attaching (implanting) to the uterine wall.

So Tony and I went to the local hospital for the procedure. They don't use anesthesia or anything, but man I wish that had given me something to relax me a little. I was wheeled into the room, with about 10 other people in there and basically had to get undressed in front of everyone. Then they strapped me up into stirrups with ski boots on the end. So there I am with my world bared to everyone around. The HSG itself went well overall. I definitely had a lot of cramping when the dye was traveling through my tubes, but all in all there was nothing wrong with my parts.

So my first procedure was over and we had no answers. So we were moving on to the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment