Wednesday, February 25, 2009

IUI's: The Middle and The End

Well, needless to say after our first negative, the next two IUI's were also negative. It got to the point where I told Tony he didn't even need to be there so he could get back to work. We joked that if I got pregnant, it would be a funny story to tell with the fact that he wasn't there when it happened:) So our first one was in May/June (my cycles began towards the end of the month and the IUI happened in the beginning of the next) and it was negative. I did June/July and it was negative. I had to skip July/August due to some work stuff that I could not get out of. So I was back on track in Aug/Sept and did another one. Each one was followed by the negative phone call from the doctor's office. One other thing I came to realize about Dr. G's office was that he was not always there and sometimes the nurse practitioner did my appts and IUI's. I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but decided that I was still getting the best care they could provide--and insurance would pay for:)

Well, there was a change in my Sept/Oct cycle. That change was that I got a nice note in the mail from my employer saying that we were switching insurance carriers. I wasn't too worried at first until I went to the meeting that was going to give us all our new information and found out that Dr. G was no longer considered an in-network provider. Needless to say I began to freak out a little bit. It was getting close to the time that I would begin my clomid for the 4th cycle and I had no idea what I was going to do. So....Aunt Jill to the rescue! I called her in a panic and she told me not to worry that we would get it all figured out. She hit the phones and found out that I would now have to go to another group, who was in Peoria, however they had no doctor at the moment and it was going to be a few months before one was coming! So freak out again.....Aunt Jill talked to the doctor's at my regular OB/Gyn office and they said that they would do my IUI's until the new doctor arrived at the new clinic. WHEW! bullet dodged.

Needless to say, things were a little different going to my regular doctor for the IUI's. There was no shot for ovulation and no sonogram monitoring, just good 'ole peeing on a stick to detect ovulation. I liked the downsize in appointments and of course the staff in the office was wonderful. Our first one there had to be done on a Sunday, and the doctor made like it was no big deal to come in on a day off--nor the nurse who had to be there as well. I also had the other doctor in the group perform some of them as well if my doc was otherwise engaged. Aunt Jill was so excited because now she got to be present for the "procedure" so that was going to be an even better story for the kids--Daddy wasn't there, but Aunt Jill was!!

We had 3 more IUI's with my doctor and the last negative came at Christmas time '07. Needless to say it wasn't the best time because I knew it meant we were moving on to something else, something bigger, and something I wasn't sure I was ready to admit we needed. There was finally a doctor in place at the new clinic and we had a consultation appointment set up for January. Here we go......

No comments:

Post a Comment