Tuesday, April 28, 2009


We started off a little behind today--they called to move my appointment back, but even after we went later, the staff was still bogged down from doing their current cycle. We waited as patiently as we could until we were finally called back. It was a very nerve-wrecking wait, but finally the doctor and Jolene (surgical tech) came in. They angled the US machine away from us--we were told it was customary to do this, probably to make sure they knew what they were seeing and could inform us accordingly--so I didn't have to worry about looking or not looking:) As they looked, Jolene had a little smirk on her face, so I was hoping that it was good news. When they turned the machine, it was very clear that there was a large "bean shaped" object on the screen. They pointed out the fetus and then the tiny flickering of the heartbeat--which was very difficult to see at first. They played around with the views and got one that they liked. They then tried to catch the heartbeat to get a measure--you couldn't really hear the beating, but more of an ocean/static type noise. They tried a few different times and finally caught enough of it to measure. It measured at 123bpm, which they said was right on target. They then measured the baby and it measured out fine as well. I am officially 6weeks and 3 days pregnant, so getting a heartbeat is extremely good. They did print off pictures, but I will have to load them at another time:)

I have to say it was a very emotional moment for both Tony and I. There have been so many struggles to get to this point, that we still aren't really sure how to be acting. I think the doctor could tell that we were still apprehensive, so she told us that with how everything measured and getting a heartbeat, that there was less than a 5% chance of miscarriage at this point. Although she did follow it up with stating that if a pregnancy is going to fail it usually happens within 6-8 weeks, with termination between 10-12 weeks, but again she emphasized with how everything was measuring, we were doing very good! She wants me to come back in 2 weeks, May 13, for another US to check on the progress. She said if everything looks good then, that there will be less than a 1% chance of miscarriage. She also stated that they want to treat me empirically with the intralipids, so I have another infusion scheduled for May 20th.

It is still all very surreal. Thanks to everyone who has given us support throughout this time, we really appreciate it! We still would like to keep this close to our hearts, so please continue to not say anything. I'm not sure if I will have time to post tomorrow because we will be packing for Florida--so many things to do:) If not, there will probably be short posts about how our trip is going, but nothing too major! Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment